01_Giovanni_di_Paolo

Unknown and Unknown maker, perhaps by a pupil of Lysippos, 'Statue of a Victorious Youth', 300 - 100 B.C. Bronze with copper inlays. (151.5 x 70 x 27.9 cm) 59 5/8 x 27 9/16 x 11 inches. Accession No. 77.AB.30. The J. Paul Getty Museum, Villa Collection, Malibu, California.

LOS ANGELES, CA (AP).- An adviser to billionaire J. Paul Getty had concerns about whether an ancient bronze statue destined for Getty's world-famous museum had been properly removed from Italy, it was reported Thursday.

A 1976 letter from now-deceased Getty adviser Bernard Ashmole, an Oxford archaeologist, said museum "exploits" to obtain the ancient Greek work "Victorious Youth" were a "crime." However, the letter cited by the Los Angeles Times makes no specific accusations.

The Italian government has asked a judge there to order the statue seized.

Maurizio Fiorilli, an attorney representing the Italian government, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he hadn't seen the letter, but it could be important to the case.

Fiorilli said he might mention the document in his closing argument Friday in the east coast city of Pesaro. A verdict is expected by the end of the month.

Getty museum attorney Stephen Clark said the sculpture was purchased in good faith in 1977 for $4 million.

Recently, Clark told the judge in Italy that he had reviewed museum files and found no evidence that officials knew the statue was improperly obtained.

"I wouldn't draw the conclusion that this (letter) acknowledges there was some crime," Clark, the Getty's general counsel, told the Times. "Italy has no legal foundation for a claim."

Ashmole wrote to then-museum director Stephen Garrett that the statue was mentioned in a British television show called "The Plunderers."

The museum's "exploits over the bronze statue were also given, but again in such a way as to minimize the crime," Ashmole wrote.

Garrett told the newspaper he did not recall what "crime" Ashmole was referring to in the letter.

The museum filed documents several years ago arguing that Italy has no claim to the piece because it originally was Greek and was found in international waters.

The Getty is one of several museums that in recent years have returned Roman, Greek and Etruscan artifacts that the Italian government suspected were looted and smuggled from the country.

In 2007 the Getty, without admitting any wrongdoing, agreed to return 40 ancient treasures in exchange for the long-term loan of other artifacts.

That didn't include the life-sized bronze "Victorious Youth," also called the "Athlete of Fano." The Greek masterpiece was sculpted between 300 B.C. and 100 B.C. and later carried away by Roman soldiers, but the boat carrying it apparently sank.

The artist is unknown but some scholars believe it was Lysippos, Alexander the Great's personal sculptor.

The statue was found in the nets of Italian fishermen trawling in international waters in 1964. It allegedly was buried in an Italian cabbage patch and hidden in a priest's bathtub before it was taken out of Italy. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

_C4052PnTinshoInkChckn1055

The bronze figure was bought by the Getty in 1977 and today is an icon of the museum's collection, displayed in its own climate-controlled room at the Getty Villa in Pacific Palisades. (J. Paul Getty Museum)

LOS ANGELES (ETATS-UNIS) [15.01.10] – Un juge italien doit se prononcer sur l'acquisition douteuse d'un bronze antique par le Getty Museum en 1976. Le Los Angeles Times vient de révéler des documents montrant que les responsables du musée avaient, à l'époque, de sérieux doutes sur la légalité de l'achat. Une information qui pourrait peser dans le jugement.

Le Getty Museum a-t-il agi de bonne foi en achetant un bronze antique en 1976 pour 4 millions de dollars à un marchand munichois ? Le bronze, une sculpture d'homme grandeur nature, est une des pièces maitresse de la Villa Getty, sur les hauteurs de Pacific Palisades.

Selon le
Los Angeles Times, Maurizio Fiorilli, procureur italien, pense le contraire et soutient que les responsables du musée savaient pertinemment que le bronze était sorti illégalement d'Italie en 1964, après sa découverte par des pêcheurs dans les eaux internationales.
Il semble maintenant admis, sans que la justice ait pu en apporter la preuve, que les pêcheurs n'ont pas déclaré la découverte, et ont vendu la sculpture à des intermédiaires qui ont fait sortir le bronze hors d'Italie, en toute illégalité.

En 1972, la statue refait surface dans la galerie d'un marchand d'art de Munich. L'Italie ne réclame pas l'œuvre, puisqu'elle n'a pas connaissance de sa provenance. J. Paul Getty, le milliardaire fondateur du musée, souhaite acquérir l'œuvre en partenariat avec le Metropolitan Museum. A ce moment-là, le chef du département des antiquités du MET alerte son directeur sur une possible réclamation ultérieure de l'Italie, puisque le bronze, s'il n'est officiellement pas sortir illégalement du pays, n'en est pas sorti légalement non plus.

Les tractations se prolongeant, l'Italie prend connaissance de l'existence du bronze et réclame en 1974 la saisie de l'antiquité à l'Allemagne, qui refuse.

En 1977, le Getty Museum acquiert la pièce pour 4 millions de dollars, et la nomme le « Getty Bronze » en hommage au milliardaire mort un an auparavant.
Selon un courrier révélé par le Los Angeles Times, un conseiller du Getty aurait fait mention dans sa correspondance avec le directeur du musée d'un « crime » en parlant de la sculpture. La
lettre est datée de 1976, avant que le musée n'achète la pièce. Le procureur italien a fait savoir au journal qu'il utiliserait cette lettre dans son réquisitoire.

Dans la commune italienne de Fano, au large de laquelle les pêcheurs ont sorti des eaux l'antiquité, la décision du juge est attendue avec impatience. La sculpture y est connue sous le nom de « L'Athlète de Fano », une reproduction grandeur nature trônant à l'entrée du port. Depuis des années, les habitants réclament le retour de l'œuvre.

Rien n'est certain dans cette affaire : tous les protagonistes sont morts, et l'œuvre a été repêchée dans les eaux internationales. Même si le juge italien se prononce sur une saisie du bronze, il est peu probable que le gouvernement américain fasse appliquer une décision de justice italienne.
Surtout que le Getty Bronze est devenu une des pièces phares de la Villa Getty, bénéficiant de sa propre salle au climat contrôlé.

Mais le Getty Museum va avoir du mal à persuader la cour italienne que les responsables du musée de l'époque ont tout fait pour clarifier la provenance de l'œuvre avant son achat.
www.artclair.com