1949 Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta. Photo Credit: Hugh Hamilton ©2010 Courtesy of RM Auctions.
BLENHEIM, ON.- With preparations well underway for the 2011 collector car auction season, RM announced today the consignment of a rare, race-bred 1949 Ferrari 166 MM Touring Barchetta, chassis number 0024 M, as the latest star attraction for its Arizona sale, returning January 20 – 21, 2011.
Originally commissioned for the 1949 Paris Motor Show, for which it was painted in the Argentinean racing colors of yellow and blue, 0024 M is considered one of the rarest and most historic early Ferraris, having been owned and raced by many notable individuals in the Ferrari world. The 10th of just 25 examples featuring striking “Barchetta” coackwork from Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, it made its racing debut at the 1950 Mar del Plata in Argentina, finishing an impressive first overall (pictured left). It was also raced in period in the 1951 Mille Miglia, where it was driven by well-known female driver Aprile Palmer, who purchased the car shortly afterwards.
The subject of a complete and total restoration, 0024 M is today finished in red and fitted with its original components, including chassis, numbers-matching engine, gearbox and differential. As an original entrant in the famed Mille Miglia it is eligible for nearly any event open to historic Ferraris. (Estimate Available Upon Request).
“Over the years RM has earned the privilege of offering more important and historic Ferraris than any other auction house. We are thrilled to present another great series of Ferraris at our Arizona sale in January, including the rare 166MM, s/n 0024 M, arguably one of the most meticulously documented Ferraris we have ever had the pleasure of offering,” says Rob Myers, Chairman and Founder RM Auctions.
Continuing RM’s reputation as the global leader in the presentation of historic Ferraris at auction, the 166 MM will be joined by no less than 10 other Ferraris at the company’s Arizona sale. Other notable entries include the previously-announced 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder, s/n 16835, offered from the personal collection of Baseball Hall of Famer, Mr. Reggie Jackson (Est. $800,000 - $1,000,000); a stunning, fully-certified 1966 Ferrari Superfast Series I, s/n 5989 SF (Est. $900,000 - $1,100,000); a fully-restored 1950 Ferrari 166 Inter Berlinetta, s/n 043S, one of just 37 examples produced and displayed at the 1950 Turin Motor Show (Est. $400,000 - $600,000); the 1995 Ferrari F50 Show Car, and a 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC Coupe, s/n 10199 (Est. $220,000 - $250,000).
In addition to the Ferraris, other recent lots include:
· A multiple award-winning 1933 Packard Twelve Sport Phaeton by Dietrich, the 1933 New York Show Car and previously part of the famed Otis Chandler Collection (Est. $1,500,000 – $2,000,000);
· A meticulously-restored, multiple award-winning 1939 Bugatti Type 57C Three-Position Drophead Coupe, boasting an intriguing World War II provenance (Est. $750,000 - $850,000);
· A 1964 Dodge Hemi Charger Concept Car, the ultimate of all muscle and concepts cars and likely the most important Hemi-powered car in existence (Est. $750,000 - $1,000,000);
· A superbly restored 1966 Shelby 427 Cobra, CSX 3259 (Est. $650,000 - $750,000); and,
· A pair of Mercedes-Benz 300SL Coupes, including an early production example from 1954 formerly owned by Benihana founder, Rocky Aoki (Est. $450,000 - $550,00); a beautifully restored 1955 model presented in Graphite Gray with a red leather interior (Est. $700,000 - $800,000).
RM’s 2011 Arizona auctions kicks off on Thursday, January 20 with the exclusive ‘The British Are Back’ evening sale, followed by the company’s traditional Friday sale on January 21. For a frequently updated list of auction offerings, including star consignments for ‘The British Are Back’, please visit www.rmauctions.com.
For those unable to attend the event in person, Internet, absentee, telephone and iPhone bidding options are available and the auction will stream live online at www.rmauctions.com to provide real-time coverage of the event.
Event Details – Automobiles of Arizona
January 20, 2011 6.30pm – 9:00pm MT - ‘The British Are Back’
January 21, 2011 11:00am – 7:00pm MT
Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:00am – 6:00pm MT
Friday, January 21, 2011 9:00am – 6:00pm MT
The Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa,
24th Street & Missouri, Phoenix, AZ 85016